One of the most overlooked facts about swimming pools is that people only spend about 10% of the swim season actually in the pool. The other 90% of the time is spent sitting poolside, soaking up the sun, reading, eating or just relaxing.
When you think about the time you’ll be spending beside the pool, it makes you consider what you might want to include to make the “pool space” more enjoyable. And when you are considering a swimming pool enclosure, the extra space around the pool translates into a larger pool enclosure.
It’s natural to try to keep the overall size of the pool enclosure small. With all the swimming pool enclosures we’ve built over time, we’ve found that pool owners really don’t realize the amount of time they will spend entertaining near the pool and therefore underestimate the amount of space they will need around the pool. Here are some guidelines to help you know how much space to allow around your swimming pool. Keep in mind that the average pool deck is approximately 600-900 square feet.
For conversing or dining with up to 6 people allow a 10’x10′ space (100 sq ft).
- If you’re going to have up to 8 people, plan on a 12′ x 12′ area (144 sq ft)
- The common poolside lounge chair takes an area of 4’x7′, plan for 7′ x 7′ for two loungers
- For safety, plan on 30″ between patio furniture and the edge of the pool
- Also, all paths and traffic areas need to be a minimum of 3′ wide at all points.
- If you have two upright chairs and a small table plan on a 6′ x 6′ area for easy maneuvering.
- If you have steps into the pool area, allow 6′ feet between the base of the steps and the water’s edge.
- Adding a hot tub? Plan on an area 10’x10′.
Taking the guidelines above into account and considering how you might want to use the enclosed pool, think of how you’ll incorporate the space desired. To keep costs of the swimming pool enclosure down, add to the extra space at the end of the pool (as opposed to adding along the length of the pool). By planning in advance how you want to use the swimming pool and what space you’ll need, you will be able to insure that the majority of time spent out of the pool is time well spent.
Now that you have an idea of the space you’ll need, find out how to get an estimated cost on the pool enclosure of your choice.